PUBLIC SECTOR WORKERS HAVE FOUND PROTECTION
INSIDE IBEW LOCAL 1245 SINCE THE 1960s
IBEW Local 1245 represents workers at many public agencies, as well as many private non-profit organizations serving a wider public good such as Irrigation Districts and Rural Electric Cooperatives and Associations.
Representing workers in the public sector poses special challenges for unions:
- Revenues may fall dramatically during economic slow-downs, which creates a difficult environment for contract negotiations.
- Labor relations in the public sector are generally governed by state law, rather than federal law. Historically, state law has lagged behind federal law in protecting the rights of workers and their unions.
Over a dozen IBEW Local 1245 business representatives have responsibility for representing IBEW members at one or more public sector employers. The union’s activities are coordinated by an Assistant Business Manager assigned specifically to the public sector. Local 1245 conducts one or more steward conferences each year targeted specifically to public sector shop stewards.
Public sector employers—including Irrigation Districts and Rural Electric Cooperatives and Associations—under contract with IBEW Local 1245 include:
- Alameda/Contra Costa Transit District
- Bella Vista Water District
- City Of Alameda - Power & Telecomm.
- City Of Berkeley
- City of Fernley
- City Of Gridley
- City Of Healdsberg
- City Of Lodi - Maintenance and Operations
- City Of Lodi - Utility
- City Of Oakland
- City Of Redding - Electric
- City Of Redding - Maintenance
- City Of Roseville
- City Of Santa Clara
- City Of Shasta Lake
- City Of Willits
- City of Yerington
- Clear Creek Community Services District
- Lassen Municipal Utility District
- Merced Irrigation District
- Modesto Irrigation District
- Northern California Power Agency
- Paradise Irrigation District
- Plumas Sierra Rural Electric Cooperative, Inc.
- Port Of Oakland
- Resort Improvement District No. 1
- Sacramento Municipal Utility District
- Sacramento Regional Transit
- South Feather Water & Power Agency
- South San Joaquin Irrigation District
- Tri-Dam Project
- Truckee-Donner Public Utility District
- Truckee Meadows Water Authority
- Turlock Irrigation District
- U.S. Bureau Of Reclamation - California
- Wells Rural Electric Association
- Western Area Power Administration - California
- Yuba County Water Agency